Mark McDonald – Professional Bio
A winding career path has brought me to this meeting place, and you to my cyber doorstep. Follow:
“If you can’t be good … be fast.” – the late Frank Luksa, NFL writer and Dallas newspaper columnist
- El Paso Times – high school writer, copy jockey, page layout
- Abilene Reporter-News – covered high school and small college sports, columnist, launched a popular Sunday outdoor page, page layout, as executive sports editor ran a staff of seven full-time and two part-time staffers
- Dallas Times Herald – covered everything from the World Gymnastics Championships to the Cowboys and Rangers locker rooms
- Dallas Morning News – covered the PGA Tour, college sports, football recruiting, major pieces such as exploring the scope of the Jack Nicklaus golf family won the American Golf Writers Association feature division for large newspapers
- Dallas Times Herald (R.I.P.) – upon my return to this now-defunct daily, I won major national awards covering wildlife, hunting, fishing and major events such as the massive wildfires of 1988 in Yellowstone National Park
- San Antonio Express-News – award-winning outdoor editor, photographer and columnist
- Pond Boss — In 1991, with fisheries biologist Bob Lusk, I launched Pond Boss, a magazine and later a website dedicated to managing private waters such as ranch lakes and farm ponds … today, Pond Boss, still operated by Bob, my friend and former partner, stands clear as the No. 1 source in North America for practical advice on pond ecology
- Texas Sporting Journal – After serving as contract editor for two years, I purchased the assets to this hunting/fishing/adventure travel periodical, and moved it from Houston to the garage office of my former home in Boerne, TX. I long since sold his interests, but under my guidance, the publication won regional awards for strong writing and photography.
- BASS Publications – While on staff at this publishing firm, I regularly wrote features for Southern Outdoors and covered the professional fishing tour for BASS Master and wire services UPI and AP.
- Generated dozens of by-lined features as a contributing writer
- “Works like a job … Pays like a hobby.” – the late Charley McTee, WOAI, San Antonio
- KRLD, Dallas-Fort Worth – While at the Dallas Times Herald, I broadened the paper’s market presence with a weekly call-in radio show early on Saturday mornings. Listeners from as far away as Phoenix and Shreveport called the show.
- Fox Sports Southwest – Contributed weekly in-studio fishing reports televised across the Fox family of networks on Thursday evenings.